Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Log quest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log quest

Hello all,
    It's been a while since I last posted. Glad to see things are still poppin'. I had a couple of very basic questions that I'm hoping someone more competent and experienced than myself can answer.

1. What is the nearest free campsite from the Loj? From my understanding, one can rent a campsite at the Loj, but I'm really trying to minimize costs.

2. What peaks are reasonable accessible from the Loj? I apologize for the ignorance of this question, but it anyone happened to have a list of the peaks with trails leading from the Loj or Loj-accessible peaks, I would really appreciate it.

I'll start with #2... what is reasonable for you? Most people on this forum consider Cliff & Redfield, Marcy, Gray & Skylight, or Haystack to be reasonable from the Loj and those are in the neighborhood of 18 miles round-trip.

Comment

I'll answer your #1: South Meadows.
      ADK 46/46, 46/46W, Grid 212/552
      Photos & Stuff

Comment

For #2, just look at your map. All trails and peaks should be listed there.

Comment

Originally posted by mbowler View Post
          For #2, just look at your map. All trails and peaks should be listed there.
          Agree. If you don't have one and are new to the area around the Loj please buy a map. The last thing you need is to be be turned around without one when you're 7 or 8 miles from the trailhead.

To quickly answer your question... I assume you mean High Peaks. The following are commonly hiked from the Loj: Street & Nye, Colden, Phelps, Tabletop, Marcy, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marcy, Skylight, Gray, Cliff & Redfield, Haystack, and sometimes Marshall.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, all. I have just acquired a copy of the Adirondacks Mountain Club High Peaks guidebook, which is very helpful in determining routes and such. Unrelated: do any of you have any strong opinions about the use of hammocks?

Comment

Originally posted by CTTSchumacher2012 View Post
              Thanks for the responses, all. I have just acquired a copy of the Adirondacks Mountain Club High Peaks guidebook, which is very helpful in determining routes and such. Unrelated: do any of you have any strong opinions about the use of hammocks?
              I love my hammock!

Is there something specific you're looking for?
              ADK 46/46, 46/46W, Grid 212/552
              Photos & Stuff

Comment

Hopefully something very cheap (the Navy doesn't pay me enough!) so my friend and I can pitch between some trees if we need to. Unless there's a great two-person tent deal I'm not aware of, I figured hammocks were the way to go... correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• CTTSchumacher2012
                  CTTSchumacher2012 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm looking to go during the summer. Either June or August. I don't think temperature is a big concern, though rain is a factor.

• autochromatica
                  autochromatica commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great. I'm sure if you start another thread in the Gear sub-forum with your specific requirements (cost, weight, size, etc.) you'll get some informed responses. Like I said, my hammock isn't cheap and I don't know enough to speak about anything else. (Other than to say that the #1 reason I love my hammock for the ADKs is that I don't have to worry about finding flat ground to set up, and there are always lots of trees.)

• CTTSchumacher2012
                  CTTSchumacher2012 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I looked up Hennessy, and was very impressed. Perhaps a little more expensive that I would've liked, but probably something I can see myself investing in for long term use. Thank you for all you help
              Working...
              X