Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best hike near lake george?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best hike near lake george?

Hey guys,

im anxious to get out on a hike tomorrow, but I'm not up for an epic high peak, and I don't feel like driving too far. So I have my sights set on hiking around lake george as the mountains are small and its only an hour from Killington.

I am pretty sure I am going to hike black mountain, a decent 7 mile hike with awesome views of the lake and the high peaks.

Is there any other mountain in the area that would offer better views? The Tongue range trail also looks pretty awesome, but i'm not sure it offers views of the high peaks, which i would love...
    ADK - 35/46
    Whites - 25/48
    North East - 68/115
    Catskills - 9/35

I really enjoyed Cat and Thomas a month or so ago!

Comment

IMO Buck offers the best views of Lake George, and has views of the High Peaks as well. I think Buck's view of the lake is somewhat more expansive than Black's.

Comment

What'd you end up doing? I'd say the Tongue loop from clay meadows is the "best" hike. Offers frequent fantastic views and a varied trail experience. Enjoy a loop hike of Black very much as well, much more interesting than Buck. Prefer Black's views and get to walk by some nice ponds.

Comment

Pilot Knob and Cat each have some pretty incredible views. I would rank them above Black and Buck though I love both of them too. And some lesser known short hikes as part of the Lake George Land Conservancy offer some spectacular views as well. http://www.lglc.org/hike-lake-george/ The Pinnacle and Anthony's Nose are short hikes with huge payoffs. The Pinnacle is right near Cat and has a similar view. Anthony's Nose, south of Ticonderoga on the east side of the Lake, gives you a great view of Rogers Rock looking northwest and a great view looking southwest down Lake George.

The Pinnacle looking east

Anthony's Nose looking southwest

Comment

I ended up hiking black mountain. What a great hike! Amazing views. It's turned me onto hiking everything in the area, especially since it is only an hour drive for me. I can't wait to hike the tongue range. I'm going to hike a lot of these in the area as I try to get back into summer shape

I saw a mountain in between black and the high peaks that looks like it would have amazing views and I'm pretty sure that would be pharaoh mountain. Can't wait to hike that one too!
            ADK - 35/46
            Whites - 25/48
            North East - 68/115
            Catskills - 9/35

Comment

Working...
            X