No announcement yet.

What Peak Was This Taken From?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I'll agree with your nameless peak. I wasn't sure at first if you were pointing at the right one, but yes I would say your arrow is pointing at the right one. But, your col arrow should be right in line with the peak, right at the base of the peak, no? Not that its a big deal, but that is where the low saddle of the ridge is. The sides of the saddle are at 1300 meters, according to acme. This is the Skylight ridge that bears left as it hits this fairly flat area and squarely hits your peak, with the easterly peak to the left side.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
      OK. I'll agree with your nameless peak. I wasn't sure at first if you were pointing at the right one, but yes I would say your arrow is pointing at the right one. But, your col arrow should be right in line with the peak, right at the base of the peak, no? Not that its a big deal, but that is where the low saddle of the ridge is. The sides of the saddle are at 1300 meters, according to acme. This is the Skylight ridge that bears left as it hits this fairly flat area and squarely hits your peak, with the easterly peak to the left side.
      ​I've never had to spend so much time and effort explaining to someone how to match a peak in a photo to its representation on a topographic map. You've even questioned if the peak I was pointing to ... was the peak I was pointing to!

Now that you've conceded that incredibly obvious point ... you've moved on to quibbling about the col. No doubt afterwards it'll be something else.

​For someone who is such an outspoken proponent of the use of Map and Compass, I'm puzzled why you're having so much trouble reading a map. I can only assume one of two things is happening here:

1) You're not as clueless as you let on and you've been trolling me.
      If that's the case, haha, the joke's on me.

2) You're having an "off" day.
      ​Take a few days to study the area. Use software to acquire more information to help you understand the it's topography. I suggest Google Earth, Caltopo's 3D view, and Peakfinder.org.

Should you have additional map-reading questions, perhaps other forum members will answer them.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

I thought this was more of a like-minds discussion, but if you're not comfortable with that, then you can choose to not make it warm and fuzzy. Too bad. Since it was a like-minds discussion, all others may have dropped it, but if there is someone that wants to continue a discussion about whether 1300 meters to 1310 meters is lower than 1310 to 1320, or to explain how I'm not reading the map correctly, that would be great. I look at a map the least of anyone on here, so maybe that's it.
        I might be kidding...

Comment

Working...
        X