Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santanoni Range- Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santanoni Range- Advice Needed

Looking to maybe do the Santanonis this weekend. I had a couple of questions and appreciate any and all advice.....

1. What route to take? Start in by Bradley Pond and do Panther, Couchie, and Santa. Or go up express and do do Santa, Couchie, Panther and exit via Bradley pond. Or any other ideas?

1a. Has anyone gone in via Bradley pond and also exited via Bradley pond? Skipped the express all together? How much longer/ tougher is that?

2. If the lot is filled, can you park on road?

3. Are the herd paths "easy" to recognize, navigate, follow?

4. Anyone know distance or Elevation gain on this one?

5. Any advice or answer to a question I haven't thought of?

6. Is Bradley Pond visible from herd path or trail?

Thanks in advance to any responders. If I go this weekend, I'll give this one a whirl. Just to looking to see if anyone has any commentary. Did Basin/Saddleback 3 weekends ago and I don't want to let too much time pass before I go up again, or I'll get out of "Adirondack shape." Thanks
    Cats: 39/39, 26W/35W......ADK: 38/46

1. What route to take? Start in by Bradley Pond and do Panther, Couchie, and Santa. Or go up express and do do Santa, Couchie, Panther and exit via Bradley pond. Or any other ideas?
    Flip a coin.

I like counter-clockwise because I can top up my water supply at the upper end of Panther Brook (~3700 feet) for the balance of the hike.

The trail along Panther Brook is rocky/blocky/rough; kind of like the initial stretch to Redfield. You may find it easier to ascend, rather than descend, this kind of terrain.

The Express trail isn't as blocky but it becomes fairly steep.

1a. Has anyone gone in via Bradley pond and also exited via Bradley pond? Skipped the express all together? How much longer/ tougher is that?
    I've done this in winter when the Express trail can be difficult to navigate. Otherwise, I prefer to use both trails to create a loop.

2. If the lot is filled, can you park on road?
    I've seen the lot so full that cars are parked along the sides of the short "feeder" road leading into the lot. I've never seen cars parked along Tahawus Road. I doubt there's enough shoulder to accomodate a vehicle so that's its tires are not touching the pavement.

3. Are the herd paths "easy" to recognize, navigate, follow?
    Yes. The only spot that may cause a tiny bit of confusion is the initial section of the Panther Brook trail. Just west of Bradley Pond, it begins a rapid ascent up steep terrain. It has a few switchbacks and there's evidence some folks have missed the hairpin turns. Just know that the trail climbs steeply away from Bradley Pond and is evident. If you find yourself not climbing and the trail seems faint, you're probably off-route.

There are two junctions on the ridge. Herald Square and Times Square.
    1. Herald is the eastern one; northbound to Panther and west to Times Square.
    2. Times is the western one; west to Couchsachraga and south to Santanoni.
    http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.08...1191&z=15&b=oo

4. Anyone know distance or Elevation gain on this one?
    On Sunday, I recorded two GPS tracks for the Santanoni Range. The resulting dimensions depend on which tool is used to interpret the tracks. Here's what I mean:

​Garmin Rino 530HCx
    Basecamp: 15.9 miles, 5000 feet. (Altitude: Barometric altimeter)
    Google Earth: 15.5 miles, 5480 feet. (Altitude: Google's DEM)

AlpineQuest with Moto X Play
    Basecamp: 15.3 miles, 6743 feet. (Altitude: GPS)
    Google Earth: 15.1 miles, 5470 feet. (Altitude: Google's DEM)

Funny, I always thought the ascent was in the 4500+ range for this loop but the data I collected says otherwise. Now you know why when someone says "My GPS said I did umpteen miles and a bajillion feet." it's just raw data and needs interpretation.

Expect to walk at least 15 miles and ascend 5000 feet (or thereabouts).

5. Any advice or answer to a question I haven't thought of?
    Don't expect to find running water above 3700 feet. You may find seepage and bog bilge but fresh running water ends well before 4000 feet.

6. Is Bradley Pond visible from herd path or trail?
    Yes. It's visible from Santanoni.

​PS
    Please do your best to ascend the rock slab near Panther's summit and not the muddy trail along the edge of the cripplebrush. Over the years, hikers have contributed to its erosion and have exposed much of the rock that is visible.
    Last edited by Trail Boss; 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your thorough answer. I appreciate your dedication to helping fellow hikers on this forum. I also enjoyed your trip report. Cheers!

So, I'm planning on doing this range in September as well, is there additional camping if the Bradley Pond lean-to is full? I would be coming in on a Friday. Hey Nivek, did you end up going in July?
    Charlie

Comment

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      There are designated campsites beyond (north of) the lean-to.

Alternately, you can primitive-camp as long as you choose a spot that's a minimum of 50 yards from the trail, sources of water, lean-tos, etc.

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not, however, I plan to dayhike it in a couple days. To try and help you, My buddy mentioned as you start your ascent up mountain from Bradley pond area there might be spots 1/2 mile where you can primitive camp. You might need to confirm that with someone.

So with the latest NYS purchase, primitive camping is ok anywhere along the Bradley Pond trail (taking the regs into account of course), assuming I may still be technically in the Tahawus easement?
    Charlie

Comment

Working...
    X