Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new "hermit"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new "hermit"?

Police have located and arrested a man who has been living in the woods near the Pharoah Lakes region for a number of years.
    Click here for the news story.

It will be interesting to hear his story, if he ever tells it.

Pat T
    Last edited by Neil; 01-12-2007, 07:37 AM. Reason: fixed link.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

--A. Camus

From the newspaper article (and we all know how accurate they are) it would appear that what we have here is a homeless man who has some survival skills. I think he may have been in the woods more from necessity then from choice. It's a shame about the thefts.

One of my fears has always been is that with the amount of people who are becoming homeless, many of them might take to the woods to try to live. I am concerned that if that is the case it could become a real problem. People getting sick or hurt because they have no outdoor skills, possible litter or garbage because they wouldn't have the respect for the outdoors most outdoors people do. We had a fellow in Wells a couple of years ago who had a shelter just back from the road a little bit up where the road closes for the winter. He had actually made it with some 2x4's and some plastic. He didn't steal anything. I did go in there and take out a lot of junk after he left though.

Hawk
    To Boldly Go where no trail marker has gone before...........

It ain't your daddy's Trail Food!!...HAWK VITTLES

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

I think this is one of the coolest stories we've had lately. If it's true, 20yrs in the woods, then I'm pretty impressed. To say he is a "homeless guy w/skills" is not doing him justice. It is too bad about the thievery, but clearly this guy was not playing by our rules.

Tracking the story here: Adirondack Bushman Captured After 20 years in the Woods
      Adirondack Base Camp
      Adirondack Trailhead

Comment

There are people everywhere living in the woods... I believe there was a guy who lives in a tent across the river where I would bike to work when I lived in a few towns from where i live now. I was back there doing some exploration of a Weird NJ story and ran into an (empty) tent with living items around. Nobody was home (I was looking at the tent via binoculars) from a ridge above the tent.

Also, when I was on the island of Kauai in the state of Hawaii, I gave a ride to guy who lives out in the wood, off the grid and in a somewhat commune like group. I gave him a ride to the post office so he could pick up his mail. I never asked if it was legal or if the authorities knew it or not but he was nice and we chatted about the island and stuff before I dropped him off.

Have yet to run into anybody out back in the catskills on any of my CAT102 or regular hikes though.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
        And death is a long cold rest.
        You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
        Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
        -Pink Floyd

Comment

Your right its to bad about the thievery and I think the punishment would not be as harsh if he was just a man living in the woods. He definately has some survival skills.
          OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
          Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

I think Redhawk got it right. To live in the woods for 20 years (if that is in fact what he did), may be "impressive," but to do do it by robbing others is less than impressive to me. I do understand the desperation of those who do what they can to survive. But let's not elevate them to the status of folk hero because they have "skills." I'm willing to wait until the full story comes out...if it ever does.

Dick
            "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by AdRegion View Post
              I think this is one of the coolest stories we've had lately. If it's true, 20yrs in the woods, then I'm pretty impressed. To say he is a "homeless guy w/skills" is not doing him justice. It is too bad about the thievery, but clearly this guy was not playing by our rules.

Tracking the story here: Adirondack Bushman Captured After 20 years in the Woods
              Thats the whole reason i don't like the "hermit" description. I don't think Noah John or others like him ever resorted to stealing. To call this guy a hermit is to do them an injustice.

And If his skills were so good,why did he have to steal? I missed the chapter in the survival manual about stealing, and I have the teachers edition!!

However you want to slice it, the man's a thief, plain and simple, end of story. I find nothing "cool" or romantic about it.

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

thief!!!! get outta my house and leave my belongings behind!!!! theif!!!
                p.s. if i ever caught a thief inside my pad and i owned a gun(which i don't) i'd shoot'em!! simple!
                Last edited by neighbor; 01-12-2007, 06:38 PM.
                sigpic
                yak herders n.w. szechuan province

Comment

No way can you ever compare this man to Noah John or French Louie etc.....they were real mountain men who lived off the land, not other people. This man was (is) a theif who deserves little credit for his so called skills. Of course, we do not yet know the entire story...when it comes out, I would like to read it.

Comment

...they were real mountain men who lived off the land, not other people.

I think he did the same, just not in the sense we are used to. Really, he is just a "normal" homeless guy, it's just that we get so few in the Adirondack mountains that it is kinda unusual.

Definitely don't like the thievery, but now that tax-time is here...

I'd rather "pay" a guy like this than continue to be a victim of institutional theft.
                    Adirondack Base Camp
                    Adirondack Trailhead

Comment

homeless?

It would seem at first glance that the guy was living this way by choice. If so I don't believe the term "homeless person" should apply.
                      Scooting here and there
                      Through the woods and up the peaks
                      Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
                        It would seem at first glance that the guy was living this way by choice. If so I don't believe the term "homeless person" should apply.
                        If he had to steal in order to be able to survive, it's obvious he didn't have anything stable to fall back on or another place to stay. The fact that he chose to go to the woods, (which is what I would probably do in the same situation without stealing of course) instead of town, qualifies him as homeless in my book. Wasn't his drivers license really outdated and from Massachusetts? But if were really so "out-doorsy" why did he steal a bike to get around? He couldn't have been too bright either if he didn't realize that bike tracks in the snow would be a red flag and easy to follow. let's not give him too much credit.

Like I said earlier, lets call a spade a spade and not try to romanticize this like he's Robin Hood or something. It looks like the press is trying to do that to take a story about a common thief and make it "more newsworthy". To call him a hermit is an insult to the men like Noah and to call him a "bushman" is an insult to my aboriginal and other indigenous brothers. They are many things but not thieves.

Don't think that i don't have some concern for the welfare of this man, I do. However his choices but him on the wrong side of a Judge's bench. Perhaps he won't have to worry about keeping warm or getting good meals for a while, although I am sure that being locked up will be an agony for him. Who knows, maybe he has some emotional or mental illness that can now be treated.

My biggest gripe with this is that this guy becomes some kind of folk hero, when he certainly is not that.

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

We are almost in complete agreement Hawk. The guy is a thief and should be treated as such. His 20 year adventure should not be romanticized. My only bone is with the use of the term homeless.

To me at least a homeless person is one who is, for any of a number of good reasons, unable to fend for himself and is deserving of the benefits provided by a compassionate society. When we lump every person without a roof over his head under the term "homeless", in particular those who are by choice without permanent residence, we end up exaggerating the statistics (number of homeless people) and we risk expending our limited resources on some who are not deserving of, or in many cases even desiring, our help.

You have correctly said that using the term bushman for this guy is an insult to many who can rightfully and proudly claim that title. I am simply saying that using the term homeless for this guy may in fact be an insult and disservice to those who are genuinely homeless and deserving of our compassion.
                          Scooting here and there
                          Through the woods and up the peaks
                          Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Oh shoot, I've seen that guy before!!!

Ah, the Pharoah Wilderness! Reminds me of the stories of the psychopath who terrorized the area in the 1960's. His MO was to attack couples and he was know for some rather grizzly (hence Grizzle Ocean?) terminations.

Comment

Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
                              We are almost in complete agreement Hawk. The guy is a thief and should be treated as such. His 20 year adventure should not be romanticized. My only bone is with the use of the term homeless.

To me at least a homeless person is one who is, for any of a number of good reasons, unable to fend for himself and is deserving of the benefits provided by a compassionate society. When we lump every person without a roof over his head under the term "homeless", in particular those who are by choice without permanent residence, we end up exaggerating the statistics (number of homeless people) and we risk expending our limited resources on some who are not deserving of, or in many cases even desiring, our help.

You have correctly said that using the term bushman for this guy is an insult to many who can rightfully and proudly claim that title. I am simply saying that using the term homeless for this guy may in fact be an insult and disservice to those who are genuinely homeless and deserving of our compassion.
                              Not trying to denigrate homeless, in fact I have been in that position. But, this guy has not had a "legal" residence in twenty years, and that certainly defines homeless.

Would someone who lived I a large cardboard box not be considered homeless because they had a shelter of sorts?

The point I am trying to make is that i believe this guy was living in the woods because of circumstances, not that it was a decision he made because of the love of the outdoors like Noey, or French Louie and others.

Trust me when i say that I sympathize with and do not look down upon people who are homeless. Most of them do not steal either.

I guess the best definition is that he is a thief who happens to be homeless? As opposed to a homeless person being a thief?

Am I making sense or confusing the issue?

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

Working...
                              X