Aggressive Black Bears on the NPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Black Bears on the NPT

"Aggressive Black Bears on the Northville-Placid Trail: Hikers have reported encounters with aggressive black bears on the Northville-Placid Trail between Wakely Pond and Stephens Pond in the Blue Ridge Wilderness. Hikers are advised to hike in groups, make noise as you hike (talking and clapping hands), hike only during daylight and secure food, trash, toiletries, and scented items when camping overnight."

We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Yikes. I hiked Wakely Mountain today, glad I didn't see any. There was ice falling off the fire tower, maybe it was too cold for them.

Comment

they are gearing up for winter at this time

Comment

when I finished this year I did see most activity from wakley to placid. One bear a followed from tirrel pond mostly to moose pond.
        ADK 46-R #6750W
        CL-50 - #51
        CATSKILLS- 9/39
        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Woman stabs bear near Indian Lake...

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

I'm now second guessing my decision to get a small sensible backpacking knife instead of a knife that would have made crocodile Dundee proud.
            George
            18/46

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain." - Jack Kerouac

Comment

A bit close for comfort I'd say. I didn't read where she dropped her pack in an attempt to give the bears what they were probably after...lunch.

Comment

Another article on the encounter:

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
                  A bit close for comfort I'd say. I didn't read where she dropped her pack in an attempt to give the bears what they were probably after...lunch.
                  I'm just thinking out loud...

Wouldn't dropping a pack for a bear reinforce the bear's brain to equate food with people?... And make them even more aggressive toward hikers in the future? Having said that, self preservation IS a priority!!
                  “Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
                  -John Muir

ADK 46-R 7090W
                  Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
                  Catskill 3500 2265; 921W

Comment

Aggressive Black Bears on the NPT

I read somewhere that she ran three miles to the nearest campground.

I bet that was her best 5K time!

Comment

Originally posted by ADK123 View Post
                      Another article on the encounter:
                      http://adirondacklifestyleblog.com/tag/black-bears/
                      Site calls the three bears "thugs." Not sure if that would've been the word I would have chosen. She definitely had some cohones and quick hands
                      ADK HP 46/46 ADK HPW 13/46 http://www.idratherbehiking80.blogspot.com/ My photos "There's no such thing as failure who keeps trying, coasting near the bottom is the only disgrace." - John Popper

Comment

Working...
                      X