X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Short Hikes in the ADKs

(Inspired by the 'Pyramid' thread)

This comes up from time to time. You have a few hours to kill, or you have a 'non-peakbagger' friend who wants a short hike, or you just did a monster hike yesterday and you don't want to kill yourself, but the weather forecast looks great. So, where to go? Consider any of these (almost all have views of one kind or another).

Peaks (listed in more or less increasing difficulty order)
    • Owl's Head - Rt. 73
    • Mt. Jo
    • Baxter
    • Coney Mt. - South end of Tupper Lake.
    • Giant Nubble
    • Owl Head Lookout - Near Giant
    • The Crows
    • Pharaoh
    • Treadway
    • Crane
    • Peaked Pond
    • Chimney
    • Rondaxe (Bald)
    • Round (above Chapel Pond)
    • Thomas & Cat
    • Black
    • Buck
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Tongue Range
    • Five-Mile
    • Fifth Peak
    • Hopkins
    • Rooster Comb / Snow
    • Pitchoff
    • Catamount
    • Noonmark
    • Ampersand
    • Jay Range

Most of the Fire Towers have great views, but especially consider these:
    • Poke-O-Moonshine
    • Hadley
    • Adams
    • Vanderwhacker
    • Lyon
    • Goodnow
    • Blue Mountain Lake
    • Hurricane
    • Arab

A longer list is here.

Non-Peaks:
    • Giant's Washbowl
    • Rainbow Falls
    • Indian Head / Fish Hawk Cliffs
    • Avalanche Pass
    • Good Luck Cliffs

(Additions welcome, but note this is a list of non-46R Peaks)

Cathedral Rocks - Mini dike and hanging boulder you have to walk under.
    Moxham Mountain between North Creek and Minerva, new trail in 2013, 2+ miles each way.
    Last edited by TFR; 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

We'll let this thread run it's course and then we can finalize Tom's first post and make it a sticky.

Tom, how about furnishing locations of parking areas with distances (both ways) from prominent landmarks, distances and elevation changes of the trails, some geo-referenced pictures, links to Acme Mapper maps with little balloons and Google-Earth fly-over tracklogs. Detailed verbal description of the trails would be good too, especially with regards to crossings, muddy patches and any tricky steep sections.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I'd suggest ordering them in levels of difficulty (or at least grouping them) While most are easier than the 'high peaks' there is much more variation. eg, Mt Jo, and Owls Head(73) are an order of magnitude easier than, say Hurricane.
      Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post
        I'd suggest ordering them in levels of difficulty (or at least grouping them) While most are easier than the 'high peaks' there is much more variation. eg, Mt Jo, and Owls Head(73) are an order of magnitude easier than, say Hurricane.
        Along those same lines, Adams is tougher than Cascade.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          how about furnishing locations of parking areas with distances (both ways) from prominent landmarks, distances and elevation changes of the trails, some geo-referenced pictures, links to Acme Mapper maps with little balloons and Google-Earth fly-over tracklogs. Detailed verbal description of the trails would be good too, especially with regards to crossings, muddy patches and any tricky steep sections.
          I kind of thought about doing that as I typed the list, but it sounded like a whole new web site in the making! No thanks!

Pete: Done, comments welcome...
          Last edited by TFR; 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM.
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Tom, one minor correction. Owl's Head near Giant is actually Owl (singular, nonpossesive) Head Lookout.
            Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

If non-High Peaks mountains are being considered (such as Blue Mt.), that opens the door wide for many more, of course. Off the top of my head:
              Pharaoh Mt.
              Treadway Mt.
              Crane Mt.
              Vanderwhacker Mt. (fire tower)
              Good Luck Cliffs
              Peaked Pond Mt.
              Chimney Mt.
              Rondaxe (Bald) Mt.

Lake George area:
              Thomas & Cat Mtns.
              Black
              Buck
              Sleeping Beauty
              Tongue Range (Lake George)
              Five-Mile Mt.
              Fifth Peak

Hadley Mt.

I didn't rank these, but all have good to excellent views, and most in what I would call the "easy to moderate" category.
              "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Steve and Dick: Updates made, list order is getting questionable!

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                  ..... list order is getting questionable!
                  Questionable is fine. Totally out of order is not.
                  Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

I had no intention of putting my entries in any particular order, or even what that order should be. No one would agree on it anyway.

Dick
                    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Round Mtn. (the one above Chapel Pond) is an awesome hike. You can put it together with Noonmark for a loop that I think runs around 5-6 miles. Start at a reasonable hour and be done in time for a late lunch. And *such* a pretty walk.
                      Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

Suggestions for short hikes in the adk's

The only one I never heard of is Good Luck Cliff's, where are these located?
                        sounds interesting.
                        Jeanne
                        As defined by Nietzsche in "Conquistadors of the Useless"; "The secret of knowing the most fertile experiences and the greatest joys in life is to live dangerously"

Comment

Originally posted by QuietHikergirlJ View Post
                          The only one I never heard of is Good Luck Cliff's, where are these located?
                          sounds interesting.
                          Jeanne
                          Off of Rt. 10, near Arietta, off the beaten track from the high peaks. Here are some links from the internet:

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/goodluck.php
                          http://andyarthur.org/fodder/hikesadks/goodluck.html

Dick

Comment

Updated Good Luck, and added Round.

CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

In addition to arranging the peaks in rough easy to more difficult order I would classify them as to region.

Comment

Working...
                              X