X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BirchBB
    started a topic Hiking camera recommendations

Hiking camera recommendations

I have had a Canon SD1200IS Elph for the past 3-4 years or so...looking to upgrade to get higher quality pics...I'm not much for fidgeting with manual controls so would prefer a point and shoot...will mainly use for hiking in the ADKS so also prefer a compact size. I've searched several review sites out there already but just can't seem to come up with a consensus pick...the choices are bewildering!!! Price range probably up to about $350 or thereabouts. I'm fine with a rechargeable lithium battery.

The Canon Powershot S 120 and the Panasonic Lumic DMC-ZS20 look promising - anyone have any good experience with either of these?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

• autochromatica
    commented on 's reply
    I don't have anything covering the body, I have a tiny zippered case (one Ruggard, one Tamrac) which I tie down to my waist strap on my pack. They're not waterproof, but I always have a dry bag inside my pack just in case.

• JoshC
    replied
    And sold! I went wireless this weekend with an a6000. Looking forward to trying it on the trail!

How do you carry yours? Did you go for one of those leather skin/case things than cover the bottom half of the body?

Leave a comment:

• autochromatica
    replied
    Originally posted by JoshC View Post
    I'm just now rethinking my camera choices. I hiked a heavy pack of my 7dii dslr and lenses up Giant, but I found that I often didn't want to stop and deal with all my gear (that I usually love to use) when tired and looking to make good time. So my smartphone got to do many of the pics along the way. I still took the whole rig out up top.

For my next peaks, I used my canon point and shoot, the G1X. I could have it in an easy to access spot... But I found that I still went for my phone. I think that the lack of a really wide lens (28mm 's the ultra wide lens on my dslr) made me feel that the phone was just less hassle.

I'm a photo nerd, so this is all perplexing. I really need to go lighter and more compact than a normal dslr w 3 lenses, but I also want something that I can do great work with.

Anyone else been through this?
    Josh

Mirrorless, friend.

Interchangeable lenses allow you to put whatever you want on there, but they're small and light enough to actually lug up a High Peak. Chris Lang is really excellent at both hiking and photography, last we talked he was using an Olympus. I personally use a Fuji, primarily because they make excellent, light, small primes. I actually use primarily an ultra-wide (15mm/22mm equivalent) lens for Leica M, Fuji makes an adapter. Works great. I like the slightly bigger sensor from the Fuji because I also use it for event photography where I need to shoot at high ISO.

(I started hiking with a Nikon D3 (!) and a 24-70mm (!!) ...obviously we photographers have all been there.)

Leave a comment:

• All Downhill From Here
    replied
    My new favorite camera is a Samsung Galaxy S7. And it's also a phone!

Leave a comment:

• JoshC
    replied
    I should also add that I recently took my dslr and 1 lens in my pack when back country camping in Ontario. The bulk and weight added was a total rookie mistake! So looking to make things work on that front too...
    I had first made that decision because I wanted a camera on tripod with a wide lens to shoot sunset and blue hour from the scenic spot we would be camping at.

Leave a comment:

• JoshC
    replied
    I'm just now rethinking my camera choices. I hiked a heavy pack of my 7dii dslr and lenses up Giant, but I found that I often didn't want to stop and deal with all my gear (that I usually love to use) when tired and looking to make good time. So my smartphone got to do many of the pics along the way. I still took the whole rig out up top.

For my next peaks, I used my canon point and shoot, the G1X. I could have it in an easy to access spot... But I found that I still went for my phone. I think that the lack of a really wide lens (28mm 's the ultra wide lens on my dslr) made me feel that the phone was just less hassle.

I'm a photo nerd, so this is all perplexing. I really need to go lighter and more compact than a normal dslr w 3 lenses, but I also want something that I can do great work with.

Anyone else been through this?
    Josh

Leave a comment:

• All Downhill From Here
    replied
    The nice thing about some of the Canon point and shoots is that you can download additional software to them (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) and get access to much longer timings, DNG support, and a few other niceties. I have an old Powershot A640 and get much better results with the DNG format. Note that this does not break warranty as its not a firmware flash.

Leave a comment:

• rich99
    replied
    I love photography and have an SLR and lots of lens, but the camera I always take to my trips is a Nikon Coolpix AW100. Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and weighs barely nothing. Sony and other brands make these same type of camera. Mine went underwater, got hit on rocks, dropped in snow all the time, frozen to -30.

It's not perfect, it fogs at high altitude, I hate how I don't have manual controls, its low light quality sucks, the GPS geotagging kills the battery fast so can't use it, but I always have it out on my shoulder and it takes 0.5s to turn on and take a pic. I find this very valuable.

I can also use it with big gloves. I keep it on my chest to heat it up in freezing temperatures. I've recorded some crazy stuff with it. This weekend I was in some very special conditions, but only had my cellphone and couldn't take pics when it mattered.

I've brought my SLR when I had time to baby it and even then I've hit it and scratched it. It's part of the price to pay for documenting things in high quality on the go. If you have time to stop, get the camera out and take pics in total safety, then you have a lot more options.

Leave a comment:

• Adirondackiteer
    replied
    To further lighten my bulky photography load, I just ordered the Canon SL1 body (I already have the lenses). It is very light and small for a dSLR. Currently on a pretty good sale price from Canon's own refurbished store... http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...dy-refurbished
    You'd need a lens though too.

Leave a comment:

• Winterberry25
    replied
    Need camera recommendations!! I've been through a handful of Canon point and shoots over the years. Most recently I've been using my iPhone 5S for my sole camera on and off the trail.

I am in the market for either a mirror less digital or DSLR. I'm looking to up my photography game, I spend a lot of time taking photos when I'm hiking and I'd like them to be of a quality and depth that I can display them around the house or gift to people, if I choose to. I'm looking for a camera that will grow with me as my photography knowledge and skills evolve, weather sealed would be a bonus. My budget is about $500 and I'm hoping to score a good deal on cyber Monday.

Thanks! - Kasey

Leave a comment:

• cuterocky
    replied
    Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Self-timer. Although ten seconds can seem awfully short when there rough terrain to cover between the camera's location and your "mark".

The second try usually gets the desired result.
    I end up using the self timer on my camera WAY more than connecting my phone to it to take pictures. I actually have yet to use the "connect my phone" method while hiking (I just bought the camera this summer after losing my old one on a backpacking trip). My phone is always off when hiking to conserve battery and it can be a pain to wait for it to turn back on and get it connect. But, still a cool option to have available

Also, my Sony HX50 has multiple self-timer options. 2 seconds, 10 seconds, self portrait for 1 or 2 people, continuous 10 second timing, and bracket 10 second timing. Again, I haven't used any of them except for the basic 10 second timer yet so I'm not exactly sure how the rest of them work but they sound cool

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    Self-timer. Although ten seconds can seem awfully short when there rough terrain to cover between the camera's location and your "mark".

The second try usually gets the desired result.

BTW, image captured with a Canon PowerShot ELPH 330HS.

Leave a comment:

• magoo
    replied
    Originally posted by cuterocky View Post
    I recently purchased a Sony HX50 and love it so far. ................................................. One more cool, somewhat gimmicky, feature, you can connect it to your smartphone and use your smartphone to control it. Great for me as I hike alone and don't want to just take selfies
    Cool, That is a great feature.

Leave a comment:

• cuterocky
    replied
    I recently purchased a Sony HX50 and love it so far. It has some manually controls which I wanted but it also takes gorgeous pictures in just the auto point-and-shoot modes. Depending on the shot, it's auto mode most times take multiple pictures and then layer them together to make a gorgeous picture. It also has a sweep panorama mode (like most phones have now, just move the camera across and it makes it a panorama). Another feature I liked is the GPS so I can see exactly where the shots were taken. One more cool, somewhat gimmicky, feature, you can connect it to your smartphone and use your smartphone to control it. Great for me as I hike alone and don't want to just take selfies

Leave a comment:

Working...
X