DSLR Friendly Day Pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLR Friendly Day Pack

Starting to prepare for some high peak hikes and hoping to bring my Cannon 60d along with me, potentially a small tripod as well. Does anyone have preferences on a daypack that is camera friendly as well as useful for hiking the peaks? Ideally it would have dedicated camera storage as well as hydration capability.

Thoughts? How do you keep your camera protected but achieve those great shots?

Last year I bought the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 along with the chest harness to carry my Nikon D5100. I think it works great because it keeps your camera right on your chest so it is easily accessible. I didn't want to have to take off my pack every time I wanted to take a picture. The case even has a small rain cover to go over it to protect it from the elements. I have used it in both the rain and the snow and my camera has never gotten wet. When I carry a tripod with me I just put it in one of the mesh side pockets on my pack with my pack's compression straps around it

Here's a couple photos of it in action:
    Hiking Big Slide last November
    Cranberry Lake 50 (it was raining and I had pulled the raincover partially off to get the camera out) (Also, this is my avatar)
    CL50 #506
    ADK 8/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Comment

Keep the water tightly sealed if you have an expensive camera! Skip the camelback!
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

I just started using the mind shift gear rotation 180. It's a great 3 season choice for carrying a camera and a tripod. I wouldn't use it in the winter due to its size but I may go for their larger "professional" pack then.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/product...on180-panorama

I is great for being able to climb and have easy access to your camera unlike most other backpack solutions or a chest harness that will just get in the way and keep you too warm.

Comment

That shifter pack looks pretty interesting, I am definitely going to look into it. At the moment my plan was to wrap the camera in a hoodie or dry bag and put it in my day pack...

Not to change course too much, but what lenses are people hiking with? Are some better than others for those awesome summit shots? What about for trail pics along the way?

Comment

That shifter pack looks sweet.

My Pentax K30 gets put on top of my gear in my Osprey Talon pack. I don't wrap it, I've never fallen in a way that concerns me that that portion of the pack would come in full contact with something that could damage the camera. (Knock on wood) It's not the best set up, as it's not readily available...however I generally only take photos of views so I am stopping anyway. The camera is weathersealed and the pack has a rainfly if it starts really pouring.

At the moment I carry only one lens, the DA 16-45mm and have found that serves most of my needs while hiking. It wouldn't work for a wildlife off the trail in the woods, but I'll sacrifice missing those shots for not carrying the extra weight. Plus my phone takes decent photos which is always readily accessible if I do find interesting things along the trail.

I'd like to get the 15mm prime which is very well regarded as a landscape lens but as I said in another thread...I'm seriously debating moving to a mirrorless system from Olympus or Sony and starting all over again.

It all depends on what photos you seek to come home with and what you're willing to carry. You can't go wrong with a wide angle zoom for sweeping summits views though.

Comment

Strapshot

I started using the Cotton Carrier Strap shot that attaches to the backpack strap. It makes it easier to do quick photos and I find that I take more shots. I also carry a small protective case which protects my camera when I need to store it in my bag due to weather or climbing hazards.

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                Keep the water tightly sealed if you have an expensive camera! Skip the camelback!
                My first thought was about the water too! Those bladders leak on occasion. I would store the water in a nalegene bottles.
                Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
                ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cuterocky View Post
                  ... along with the chest harness to carry my Nikon D5100.
                  I picked up something similar, a binocular harness from Dick's sporting Goods.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=4304207

When I was looking at camera harnesses, all I found seemed too expensive. Then reading somewhere online, someone suggested a binocular harness, since they have similar rings for straps as cameras. I love mine, I just leave it on the camera now all the time.
                  Firetowers - 29/29
                  46ers - 4/46

Comment

Working...
                  X