Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Photo Theme: WATERFALLS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Photo Theme: WATERFALLS

WATERFALLS: Water plunging down a mountainside sounds pretty natural, and it is, but there is a special draw to those places. Some say it's the negative ion-infused air or the sights and sounds, whatever the reason people are drawn to waterfalls. Every hiking/car trip I take I try to incorporate visits to waterfalls along the way if possible, it's a great way to break up the monotony and enrich the experience. I have been able to visit many waterfalls throughout my tavels. The term favorite is often used when referring to natural features, I think if i was forced to choose Rainbow Falls in the Adirondacks would be my choice. The power of Niagara Falls while standing on the Hurricane Deck is the most impressive I've felt. Ricketts Glen State Park in PA has one of the best collections of waterfalls I've seen in one location. The Finger Lakes Region of NY has many state parks full of waterfalls as well, Letchworth State Park having some of the most impressive. Blackwater Falls in WV is fantastic as well. The Delaware Water Gap in PA has a good collection and Transylvania County in North Carolina is also known for it's abundant waterfalls. I'll never tire of veiwing these gems of the forest, here are my waterfall pictures and as always please share yours.

WATERFALL PICTURE GALLERY

Next Weeks Photo Theme: Ponds/Lakes
    ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
    "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Here are a few from the Adirondacks:

https://picasaweb.google.com/curugroth/Falls

Comment

GK-Great shots in there, some real hidden gems.

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
      "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Buttermilk Falls DWGNRA New Jersey
        One step done and another begun
        In I wonder how many miles?
        I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill

Hunter Garcia

Comment

Here are some recent ones from Morgan Hill State Forest in Central New York:
          http://geoffreyday.com/hiking/cny02.html

There are some shots of Cascade Lake Falls at the bottom of this page:
          http://geoffreyday.com/hiking/adk/47
          ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Comment

Here's a set, ADK and other places:

Waterfalls
              Hiking Pictures

Comment

Here are some shots of Tinkers Falls, which is also in Morgan Hill State Forest:
                http://geoffreyday.com/hiking/cny03.html
                ADKHP Wiki

Comment

There are some shots along the Opalescent River at the bottom of this page:
                  http://geoffreyday.com/hiking/adk/34
                  ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Here's another :

Small waterfall on Herbert Brook
                    ADK46 pics
                    ADK Firetower Challenge pics

Comment

The Conservationist has a nice photo essay on waterfalls across NYS:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/88997.html
                      Hiking Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Snav3 View Post
                        The Conservationist has a nice photo essay on waterfalls across NYS:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/88997.html
                        Barberville Falls never looked so good when I've been there. I guess it takes a photographer to compose a picture....

Don

Comment

I've seen/photographed Barbervile in the spring, very impressive. Unfortunately I read it was closed to the public last summer due to partying/abuse of the property.

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                            I've seen/photographed Barbervile in the spring, very impressive. Unfortunately I read it was closed to the public last summer due to partying/abuse of the property.
                            I like to visit waterfalls but I didn't make it to Barberville Falls at all last year so this is news (and bad news) to me. I have been there at spring runoff and it is impressive. Overuse at waterfalls can be/and is a problem much like that at the summits of high peaks. Vandalism and denegration is infuriating.

As for high flow there was nothing like the torrent after Irene/Lee. Made me appreciate the new overlook at Cohoes and the old one at Mt Ida Falls. Both falls were huge. Mount Ida spouting like a fountain. Cohoes wide deep and brown like chocolate milk. By the way, both these are notably missing from your set. Surprising considering that you are so close to both......

Don
                            Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-05-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

HTF: Actually I haven't been to either although I know of them. It's probably beacuase I tend to avoid larger population centers and I prefer the more rural/remote locations (I made an exception for Niagara Falls). My "local" falls is at a dam/hydroelectric plant on the Battenkill River near Greenwich, NY, it's called Dionondehowa Falls...

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X