Robo-hiker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robo-hiker?

I wonder if this exoskeleton for skiers would work for hikers too?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/29/1...-roam-robotics

If itís for people that are physically challenged, like amputees, thatís great. Iím not sure for someone just using it to catch an advantage. Take myself. My knees are not the greatest, but I can still move.mim overweight, but nothing that some weight loss wouldnít fix. Using it as a cheat to hike the 46 or other list is a concern. If a healthy hiker used it to extend their hike and complete the 46 in a shorter time, would it count? I wouldnít look at it, unless a doctor told me my legs were too weak to hike, even with weight loss. If it saves someone from undergoing surgery, I say, thatís great! Iíd rather wear an exoskeleton than having my knees or legs cut into. But, for the healthy hiker, I donít know. It would be like using the gutter guards in bowling.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

My knee-jerk reaction to this was a head shake and an eye roll. Then I started thinking about my last ski trip to a world class resort. I had two days of skiing/boarding planned and my legs were smoked after day one, and day two essentially turned into a expensive cover charge to drink at the Lodge. It would have been cool to have something like this to get more mileage out of my legs and see more terrain for my $150 lift tickets.

For hiking? I can see its merits for eastern porters or as Gerard said, for people with severe physical limitations. For the rest of us I don't see it as any different than taking PEDs to become a better baseball player. Seems like cheating. Heck, there's been what, a half dozen amputees who have summited Mt. Everest? I wonder if they would have used something like this if there was a tried and true high altitude version. I doubt it.
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

I wonder how much the backpack and exoskeleton weigh? Is it worth carrying extra weight uphill to ease the pain on downhills? For skiers not a problem as they have chairlifts but for hikers could be a deal breaker.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          So much for that idea. Way too much.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah at roughly the weight of an overnight pack, the system is too heavy for hiking. I'm wondering if they could reduce weight substantially if they were to make a non-winter sports model. Something meant for slower, more deliberate movements.

What about a hydraulic exoskeleton?
        Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Working...
        X