2017 Goals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Goals?

I'll start, since I'm aiming low this year (and probably won't even make it to the Adirondacks).

1. Climb one peak of at least 2017' height.
    ​2. Spend a night in a lean-to for the first time (yes, I've made it to 45 peaks, and well over 100 nights camping, without ever having done this)
    3. Hike the Perinton Crescent Trail "grid" - one lap (21 miles) of the thing every month except December (when substantial parts are closed for hunting)
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Can I make my goal to drag you up Allen?

Other goals...add some W's to my list, hit more slides in the spring and summit Rainier in July.
    46/46 - #9464
    7/46 "W"
    NE115 - 53/115

Comment

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm planning on at least getting a lot of miles in before summer. 22 miles once a month for the crescent trail, and 4-8 once a week with the hash house harriers. Just almost everything local is flattish, and uphill has always been my nemesis...

• NorthBay
      NorthBay commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, you keep working on hiking and we'll talk more as the summer approaches.

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got another offer for a one way ride to upper works too which complicates things. My goal remains though to get rid of That One by myself so when I have anyone to hike with it can be a place I actually want to go to?

1. Finish the NPT
    2. Pack lighter, move faster.
    3. Spend more time on hikes and less time on climbs; take the long way.
    “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Finish the 46 by July to close the loop in a year. Add Yard and Tabletop East.
      Keep coming back to enjoy the mountains with my sons.
      Move on to the Whites for the 2nd half of the year.

Comment

I'll be really happy to simply get back up to the Adirondacks and make it up any peak, since the knee replacement in August. First real test will actually be a bike ride - the NYC Five Boros Ride in May, so we'll see how the knee holds up. Also plan to get my wife out on her first backpacking trip this year.
        Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

Finish at least 3 out of 7 remaining ADK46 peaks.
          To have hiking speed similar to my March 2016 and earlier speed.

Comment

Most proximal goal: a winter HabaSa.

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              You are crazy! I can't even imagine that kind of steep sh*t covered in ice. (But then that's why I'm planning on staying 0/46W)

• Neil
              Neil commented
              Editing a comment
              When it's dry Saddleback is not difficult.

Hike the PCT.
            46er #9404
            Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
            http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
            https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a thing.

I think you win!

Easy. Just get into shape, so only the weather can cause me to bail. I have a score to settle with the Beaver Meadow Falls Trail. I want Gothics and Armstrong. I also need Iroquois to complete the Mackies, but the idea of climbing over Algonquin does not thrill. I have many hikes before the big show starts in June and getting in shape is priority one.
            Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Yury
              Yury commented
              Editing a comment
              Makwa, you surely believe that this joke is funny?

• Yury
              Yury commented
              Editing a comment
              Gerard, I also need Iroquois to complete the Mackies, and the idea of climbing over Algonquin's ice covered slabs does not excite me. :(
              So, what should we do about it?

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              @Yury... I'm not sure if you're playing along or if you're serious. My post in #9.3 was in response to #9.2.

1. Not to stay up until 2:00 a.m. reading the forum anymore.
            2. Chip away at my winter round of the 46 (3/46 as I write this). Also, get to as many fire towers and Saranac 6ers as I can this winter so one day I might get those winter rockers as well.
            3. I'm working on far too many lists but I'm around a dozen days of hiking away from finishing a handful of them. I hope to have them completed in the first half of the year.
            4. Get back to the ADKHH (65/102) and revisiting the High Peaks more this year.
            5. Finish my super-secret list that does not involve actual hiking but is oddly related to the Adirondacks and the High Peaks.

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              When you make it to 45/46H, you know who your passenger is for the landing on A***n.

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              That would make you 1/46H and still stuck on 45/46 for your regular round. There is no shortcut to the top of Allen.

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not stuck, I'm at 45/45 on the first round and 17/45 on the second!
          Working...
          X