Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 By The Numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 By The Numbers

I had some fun putting together my stats for 2016 -- I essentially doubled all the hiking I had ever done up to the start of this year. I obviously love it up here, and am willing to make the 6-hour+ drive twice a month or so to stay in shape.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year and a great 2017!

2016 Adirondack Numbers

189,027 Vertical feet climbed
    9,000 Highest vertical gain in one hike (feet)
    4,501 Average vertical feet per Adirondack hike
    633 Number of miles hiked in the Adirondacks
    105 Number of High Peaks summited (covering all 46, but not MacNaughton)
    42 Number of days hiked
    27 Longest hike (miles)
    15.1 Average mileage per hike
    4 Number of summits of Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright, Armstrong, South Dix, Grace, Macomb, and Cascade
    2 Number of rounds of 46 completed; Round 2 on Gray Peak/March 8, Round 3 on Saddleback/September 24

Lifetime Numbers

190 Number of monthly grid summits (out of 552)
    69.6 Percentage complete of 46 summits in each season (13 Spring/46 Summer/27 Autumn/42 Winter)
    46 Number of solo 46 summits (33 solo in winter)
    45 Out of 46, completed for both August (still need Nippletop) and September (still need Allen)
    42 Number of winter 46 summits
    13 Number of High Peaks remaining to complete my 4th Round of 46
    0 Number of summits in April (need to work on that!)

(Pics and stuff at the link if you're interested!)
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 226/552
    Photos & Stuff

Wow! Mine aren't so impressive...

2016 Adirondack numbers
    120 vertical feet climbed, in one hike and in all 2016
    6.4 miles hiked
    0 high (or non-high) peaks summited
    1 day hiked
    6.4 miles longest, shortest and average hike (obviously)
    843 days since my last high peak summit (Marshall at 1:15am on September 13, 2014, just prior to the Ledge)

2016 overall numbers
    10,345 vertical feet climbed
    3240 highest vertical gain in one day
    89 miles hiked
    6 days hiking
    24 miles longest hike
    14.8 average mileage per hike

4/13/16 Mala Ṡtudena dolina (Slovakia)
    10/1/16 Massawepie Lake trail (Adirondacks)
    10/8+9/16 Appalachian Trail from Williamstown to the VT line then to Cheshire (MA)
    10/15/16 Perinton Crescent Trail (Monroe county)
    10/22/16 Mendon Ponds park (Monroe county)
    10/29/16 Irondequoit Bay West, East and South trails (Monroe county)

Lifetime numbers
    69/540 grid summits (interestingly, every summit I have ever reached counts except for Street and Nye in May both 2008 and 09)
    12.8% complete (14 spring, 44 summer, 11 autumn, 0 winter)
    23/45 solo summits
    33/45 peaks summited at night (not Giant, RPR, Cascade, Porter, the Dixes minus Dix, Armstrong, Gothics, Redfield or Sawteeth)
    17/45 toward my second round
    4/45 toward my third round (Street, Nye, Marcy, LWJ)
    2/45 toward my fourth round (Marcy, LWJ)
    1/45 toward my fifth round (Marcy)
    0 summits in November, December, January, February, March or April (not planning on changing any of those though, except *maybe* April)
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

Roughly estimated....

~90 nights camped out.
      ~600+ miles hiked

Longest hike was 40 miles.

Comment

• bfinan0
        bfinan0 commented
        Editing a comment
        You know, there's a whole rest of the state that aren't the Eastern High Peaks

Or, if you're willing to add on some extra miles, there are ways to get to a campsite over the border and not be subject to the bear law.

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        bfinan0 it isn't so much the law as it is the bears. Both of my outdoor nights have been in the Dix wilderness and the Western High Peaks. Legal to camp without one, but not the best thing if you happen to run into a bear. For both you and the bear. And there's also the smaller critters which are likely to be near camping places.

• bfinan0
        bfinan0 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's reasonable.

Not advising doing this in any way, shape or form but I usually just keep any food in my pack, and use the pack as a pillow. I haven't been mauled yet...

I just don't see the point when I'm only backpacking one night every couple of years (and about as many unplanned overnights), normally I'd just keep hiking all night and sleep on the bus/train home anyway.

I'm often criticized for being a numbers guy, but you are light years ahead of me. What is impressive is how much you have worked on improving your hike efficiency (some call it speed but it really is more than that). Going to a gym for a few hours a week is nice, but it won't do much to make you a better hiker. Difficult for those who don't live near mountains, but "hiking is the best training for hiking".

Comment

• bfinan0
        bfinan0 commented
        Editing a comment
        What would you say the best plan for someone who only hikes once a year would be? If you had one 21-hour period every August to hike any peaks, how would you make that as efficient as possible? What would you do during your 363-day off-season every year?

2016 Adirondack Numbers (Started ADKs in July)

41,275 Vertical feet climbed
      107 Number of miles hiked in the Adirondacks
      63:22 Hours spent on the trail in the Adirondacks (including breaks, exlcuding nights)
      2 Number of nights in the Adirondacks
      6305 Highest vertical gain in one hike (feet)
      4,586 Average vertical feet per Adirondack hike
      23 Number of High Peaks summited
      9 Number of days hiked
      19 Longest hike (miles)
      11.7 Average mileage per hike

Comment

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks not to far off from my 2015! Be careful, there may be a deluge behind it...

Hello there Sean,

I don't track the stats in such detail. Only logging peaks and days.

Versus my last check in June 2016, You're 2016 2.5 per day is greater than my lifetime 2.2/day.

For the most active years of my ADK 47 grid, 2012 and 2013: I climbed 180 46r peaks (+4 MacNaughton, +10 Cat 35s) and then 191 (+ 2 MacNaughton, +6 NH 4Ks, +17 mostly winter Cat 35s), respectively.

This year I'll be somewhere between 110 and 120 46r peaks. That is due to doing other things and tacking on peaks to them. The really big days in peaks/day are less now. So I expect peaks per day lifetime average to be on a gradual decline.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
        Versus my last check in June 2016, You're 2016 2.5 per day is greater than my lifetime 2.2/day.
        I love seeing things like this, thanks for sharing. I had only one single day of 6 peaks (and it was an atypical day: lower four Dixes followed by Giant/RPR) and three hikes including 5 peaks (two of which were the Dixes). Great Range Traverses tick off far more summits, and there are plenty other options for getting 5 in a day that I didn't do.

But what your numbers show is that it isn't about grabbing as much as you can all the time, but rather a consistent approach and dedication.

I'm reminded about this when I think about the current FKT for the 46. jwellford averaged, I think, something under 1.7 mph in his record-setting effort. It isn't about super fast hiking, rather Jan's feat was being able to keep a consistent pace for four days. (Which, honestly, still boggles my mind.)

I hope to see you on the trails in 2017!

--Sean
        ADK 46/46W, Grid 226/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
          What is impressive is how much you have worked on improving your hike efficiency (some call it speed but it really is more than that).
          A high compliment! What I learned from you before I understood it, it's not about being 'fast' but finding that speed which I can maintain indefinitely. It makes hiking much more enjoyable, especially the long days and the 'days after'.
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 226/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            I hike rarely enough, and am out of shape enough, that that sustainable speed is probably zero for me. However, what I have found is, 12 or so hours into a hike, things do get easier for the next 24... My longest "day hikes" have been in the 33-36 hour range, but I can understand how with that mentality, and enough practice, 1.6mph for 84 hours *might* be possible...

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
          2016 Adirondack Numbers

189,027 Vertical feet climbed
          9,000 Highest vertical gain in one hike (feet)
          4,501 Average vertical feet per Adirondack hike
          633 Number of miles hiked in the Adirondacks
          105 Number of High Peaks summited (covering all 46, but not MacNaughton)
          42 Number of days hiked
          27 Longest hike (miles)
          15.1 Average mileage per hike
          4 Number of summits of Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright, Armstrong, South Dix, Grace, Macomb, and Cascade
          2 Number of rounds of 46 completed; Round 2 on Gray Peak/March 8, Round 3 on Saddleback/September 24
          How do your capture stats for each hike?
          How do you calculate stats for the whole year?

Comment

• akafuzzjones
            akafuzzjones commented
            Editing a comment
            Check out peakbucket.com

Originally posted by Yury View Post
          How do your capture stats for each hike?
          How do you calculate stats for the whole year?

I took the Peakbagger spreadsheet v2 (which was very good already) and added in some automation to capture more details on each hike. Then the spreadsheet calculates everything else for me automatically, I don't have to do anything.

The bigger task was the spreadsheet I built for calculating mileage & elevation gain. That one was fun. That's how I can easily figure out both the mileage and elevation gain for each hike. The numbers I calculate match pretty well with the resident numbers expert on this forum. (Except he deliberately underestimates sometimes, I'm convinced it is so that his wife doesn't worry about him.)
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 226/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Yury
            Yury commented
            Editing a comment
            What is a source of your numbers?
            Is it export from your Gatmin watch?

Wow. Now I feel like a bad hiker for not keeping track of my stats. On the other hand I use stats and figures all day long at work so I’m really not all that interested in “spoiling” my favorite hobby with anything that feels like work!

After a quick read through my hiking journal here’s some of my 2016 data:

Total number of NY High Peaks hikes: 16
          Total number of NY High Peak night/evening hikes: 11
          Number of NY High Peak hikes where I turned back due to time, weather, or trail conditions: 3
          Number of NY 4K summits: 21
          Non-NY 4k summits: 1
          NY non-4k summits: 3
          Separate NY parks, preserves, and wilderness areas hiked in: 9
          Non-NY parks, preserves, and wilderness areas hiked in: 1
          Longest hike: 21 miles
          NY parks XC skied in: 2
          Nights camped: 7
          Beers drank on summits: 6
          Cold beers drank on summits: 3
          Money spent at mountaineer due to forgetting gear at home: ~$150
          Days I packed snowshoes: 3
          Days I actually needed to use them: 1
          Days I was told by a Ranger at the HPIC not to bother packing snowshoes, packed them anyway, and needed them: 1
          Garden parking attempts: 3
          Successful Garden parking attempts: 3
          Hikers encountered who did not know what mountain they were on: 12
          Hikers encountered in the middle of the night who did not know what mountain they were on: 2
          Bear encounters: 2
          “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            And you still got out despite that! Congratulations though... something I'll probably (hopefully) never get to (have to) experience being forever alone that's for sure.

My rather pitiful goal for 2017, which I'll probably still miss, is to climb at least one peak over 2017 feet.

• FlyFishingandBeer
            FlyFishingandBeer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks.

Round trip bus tickets from Rochester to Saranac Lake are $160. At your hiking pace you could make an awesome week trip out of it. Hike or hitch from Saranac to Corey's, and then south to anywhere you want to go. The Sewards, Upper Works... You could comfortably make it to UW in two days, leaving you with three days to finally summit your old nemesis, and two days to comfortably hike back to Saranac.

Since you don't hike in the winter you've got 5-6 months to plan the logistics. Hope to see you out there in Summer '17.

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I wish, but I have no one to go with me, and I don't think I can get away with anything more than a day hike or maybe one overnight by myself.

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
          Beers drank on summits: 6
          Each hike? Or in total?

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
            FlyFishingandBeer commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! Total, but its going up significantly in '17. I've found that beer makes a good bonk-proof fuel source.

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a reason an entire sport exists around this premise.

Being right behind a group that had a fatality on Giant in June, it had an effect on me and had me looking at easier hikes. I tend to try to get NY, NH, MA and CT and this year got out to AZ and CA . From the spreadsheet I keep:
          Mt. Elev. Date
          Wachuset, MA 2006 January
          Pat's Peak, NH 1402 February
          Pitcher Mt, NH 2153 February
          Mt Pemigewasset, NH 2557 March
          Mt. Prospect, NH 2072 March
          Norwottuck, MA 1106 March
          Bare, MA 1014 March
          Mt. Prospect, NH 2072 April
          Eisenhower, NH 4761 April
          Pierce,NH 4312 April
          Greylock, MA 3491 April
          Prospect, MA 2690 April
          Greylock, MA 3491 May
          Giant of the Valley, NY 4627 June
          Goodenow, NY 2685 June
          Moxham, NY 2361 June
          Sugarloaf (AZ) 4911 Aug
          Doe Mountain (AZ) 5067 Aug
          Little Sugarloaf (AZ) 4872 Aug
          Sugarloaf (AZ) 4911 Aug
          Sentinel Dome, CA 8122 Aug
          Sentinel Dome, CA 8122 Aug
          Bear, CT 2316 September
          Bear,CT 2316 October

I was out in the woods hiking on 66 different days, many days in CT State Parks and CT State forests and a couple of other days hiking in Yosemite and the Sedona Flagstaff area that did not climb to any mountain in particular. I try and get to a few new peaks or places every year. This year I hope to get to Emmons and Cliff, two of the four I have left on the Northeast 4K list.

Comment

Wow, some of you people are ANIMALS!

I don't keep track of all my dates anymore, but I know I finished my 4th Winter round of the Catskills, and my 12th round overall. But I'm still not a gridiot!

Speaking of Winter, Laurie and I have already climbed 11 Winter Catskill peaks this season.

We also helped out with several Fire Tower work projects, and did trail work a few times as well.
            Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
            Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
            Past President Catskill 3500 Club
            CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Here are the things that my records cover:

79 - 4000 footers in the Adirondacks
              11 - 4000 footers in Maine
              7 - 4000 footers in New Hampshire
              1 - 4000 footers in Vermont

98 - total 4000 footers

592 - miles hiked

These numbers aren't significantly different than 2014 and 2015, with the exception that in 2016 the vast majority of this was done before October 6th. If I had gotten out more in the last three months, the numbers could have been higher.
              ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Working...
              X