Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to upload pics. for posting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to upload pics. for posting.

Since the new format was adopted a while ago for this forum, I've been unable to upload a single photo for posting. I get the same reply: I'm over 1,000,000 bytes. My pics average about 3.80 MB. My camera is nothing fancy. Sure, I could share a link, but when I see these large photos being posted, I wish I could do the same. Whether I use the automatic or landscape setting on my camera, the result is the same.

My thoughts exactly. I've never figured out how to upload a photo directly into a trip report. Hopefully someone responds
    ADK High Peaks
    46/46 41/46 19/46
    Fire tower Challenge 28/28
    Catskills 22/35
    The Other 56 10/56

Comment

Posting pics directly using the forum software truly sucks. Compared to FB it is paleolithic. You need to downsize your pics on your computer to 500k or less or upload them to an on-line photo display site. Doing the latter allows you to display the pics, in-line within a post. You click on the image icon (looks like a mountain and the sun) and copy-paste the picture's URL into the dialogue box that pops up.

Comment

Upload your photos to the cloud and then post an image-link here. You maintain ownership of your pics, everything you posted is in one place (you can post image-links in other forums or blogs), and you can easily peruse all your uploaded photos, and you can specify if a photo is for public display or just for family and/or friends.

Many of the services offer several gigabytes of free storage (even 1 terabyte). See Flickr, OneDrive, Google Drive, Imgur, etc.

Several let you dynamically resize your images so you can upload a full-resolution image, as big as whatever your camera captures, but choose to have it displayed at a fraction of that.

Here's an example I posted elsewhere explaining how to use dynamic resizing: ​http://www.adkforum.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=33

​Dynamic resizing is just being courteous to one's audience. If you post six high resolution images, that may mean 6 x 5Mb each = 30 mb of data to download in order to render the web page. Six images 300Kb images (around 640x480 pixels) translates to less than 2 Mb of data to render the page.

​FWIW, I started with Microsoft's OneDrive, switched to Flickr when Microsoft screwed up image links (it's fixed now), and use Imgur exclusively for "miscellaneous" photos like pics of gear, screenshots, etc. I also have a few pics on Google Drive. Try one, try them all, see what works best for you.
        Last edited by Trail Boss; 07-08-2016, 12:38 PM.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

• DennisK
          DennisK commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks TB, I will be experimenting with this.

"The cloud" is just another term for "someone else's computer". If there's a free online service, you are the product, not the customer. Being able to post pictures into a specific site (this forum) is the best way of keeping the pictures dedicated to that purpose, without involving and being part of the Microsoft, Zuckerberg or Google machines. No need to create an account somewhere else, no metadata linking foo@google.com to your name on here which is probably your trail name, no additional password, no 3rd party cookies, no tracking, no abusive EULAs.

TB, is the storage for this board really THAT limited/pricey? How many pictures would we seriously have, a dozen GB or so?
        46er #9404
        Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
        http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
        https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
          ... If there's a free online service, you are the product, not the customer... No need to create an account somewhere else, no metadata linking foo@google.com to your name on here which is probably your trail name, no additional password, no 3rd party cookies, no tracking, no abusive EULAs.
          ​All true and sage advice ... a decade ago. That ship has sailed and is past the horizon.

Nowadays, anyone who uses the Internet leaves their DNA all over the place. It's a decision made tacitly by consumers when they traded away their privacy for the convenience of getting free services; a deal with the devil signed by an ACCEPT of a EULA they never read.

​Anyone who wants the PasteBin equivalent for images, might want to use Imgur. No account is needed. Upload your photo and get links to (dynamically resizeable versions of) the image. They even provide a deletion URL (copy it for safekeeping otherwise you cannot delete or modify your posted images without an account).

Otherwise, people can use the file-hosting service they undoubtedly already have as a result of owning a smartphone, computer, etc.

TB, is the storage for this board really THAT limited/pricey? How many pictures would we seriously have, a dozen GB or so?
          This is a question for the admins, not me.

You do realize in one breath you called out the Big Boys for their "not really" free services and in the next breath questioned why this non-profit can't offer more free space?!?

Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by All Downhill From Here View Post

Good question. I could easily increase the size allowance to something like 5 meg per pic and see what happens.

Comment

I'm guessing that any actively developed forum software will have an extension that will allow us to host/upload images to Amazon S3 and perhaps that same plugin/extension will have a ffmpeg transcoder to dial down the size of the uploaded file to a sane constraint.

Alternatively / in addition to, something that performs auto-embedding must exist as well such that when we post a flickr, imgur, tweet, etc, in a forum post a preview and link is automatically generated in place of the original given link.
              K

Comment

• All Downhill From Here
                Editing a comment
                I think that's how it works now - put it in your S3 account and then link to it.

I'm going to have to try one of those services. I'm currently trying to post a (very small, 115K) graphic over at ADKForum, and the site is locked out against all attachments. When I use the "Manage Attachments" window, to upload the jpg (or gif, or bmp, same thing happens), the site converts the 115K file into a tiny letter "X", and that's all that shows up in the post.

And I have uploaded attachments successfully in the past; but it does not work at all now, even for a small file.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. I've down sized a couple of pics to the point where they're barely bigger than my profile thumbnail and still are "too big," Meanwhile I see people uploading these full scale gorgeous pictures and I want to break my keyboard in half.
                “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Except the "full scale gorgeous pictures" aren't being uploaded here.

Fr' instance:
                  PeakGoat latest Seymour pics are hosted on Imgur.
                  autochromatica hosts his pics on his blog site.
                  I use Flickr (hiking pics) and Imgur (maps, diagrams, photos of TP and poo, etc).
                  ​Others use Google Drive, etc.

​This pic? Flickr.

Ascending Whiteface's northeastern arÍte.
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
                  X