Kilburn Slide 6-10-17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilburn Slide 6-10-17

Slide climbing partner Claudia and I kicked off the season with the Kilburn slide. This is a slide we've intended to tack on to a day and never got to do it. So this spring we decided it would be first.

Pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWZBhVf

It is a really nice slide. A steep rock scramble at the start, two smaller ones in the middle, and a steep enough testy headwall to finish. We did all this with our 5-10 approach shoes. Wearing 5-10 rubber is a real confidence builder.

After that we went over to the ASRC to do a bushwhack up White Brook. Here we climbed part of a route where a year ago last April we bushwhacked to Esther. Along the way you can climb to a long sand and gravel bar. Climb straight up the fall-line to a really nice rock scramble that takes you to somewhat close to the ridge. Then instead of summiting we went downhill to the second set of cliffs to check them out. Judgement is steeper and not as nice rock. And finally we visited some wide open rock that I saw on the satellite images about 0.6 of a mile from ASRC and not far off the return bearing.

The day ended with a swim (for Claudia, I wade) in Wilmington flume which was pretty warm. We also saw some cliff jumpers. Not for us but interesting to watch.

Don

I love that little slide. Makes for an easy day out in a nice area. That glacial till (??) looked really interesting. Reminds me of High Bank a little bit.
    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
      I love that little slide. Makes for an easy day out in a nice area. That glacial till (??) looked really interesting. Reminds me of High Bank a little bit.
      Yes, slide may be little. For first time an unexpected pleasure. And a good way to get into the groove for the new season.
      Don

Comment

Working...
      X