Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moose Mountain Bushwhack via NW and N Slides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
    ... I've goofed in various areas ....
    ....Goofy?
    8000m 0/14

Comment

Originally posted by nangaparbat View Post
      ....Goofy?
      I was searching my dictionary of technical terms and that jumped to the front of the line
      May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

http://www.mackenziefamily.com/46/46r.html

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
        I've got some heaftier goals line up for the near future,
        That reminds me Kevin, I've been meaning to PM you with some photos from a recent trip up Pinnacle. Some interesting recon....

Comment

Originally posted by krummholz View Post
          That reminds me Kevin, I've been meaning to PM you with some photos from a recent trip up Pinnacle. Some interesting recon....
          Excellent, I'll look forward to that!

Comment

The Titans of Rocks

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
            I strenuously object to being called a Titan. My apparent obsession with slides is coincidental;
            It is wonderful to have an obsession with coincidental slides. I do not find the reference that bad.

It could be worse, something like: "The Midgets of Gibraltar"

How about that title?
            What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report. Bib and I are heading there Thursday (11-29) with spikes, cramps and axes. We'll follow your ingress route pretty closely but perhaps from the summit we'll descend to the easternmost, forked slide and check it out. Probably too steep to descend comfortably but definitely worth a look.

Maybe we'll be able to skate across Moose Pond. Wouldn't that be something?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Thanks for the detailed report. Bib and I are heading there Thursday (11-29) with spikes, cramps and axes. We'll follow your ingress route pretty closely but perhaps from the summit we'll descend to the easternmost, forked slide and check it out. Probably too steep to descend comfortably but definitely worth a look.

Maybe we'll be able to skate across Moose Pond. Wouldn't that be something?
                Cool! So you're bringing spikes, cramps, axes and skates! Careful of the toe-pick.

It's a nice scoot through the woods! I think it's fine to descend unless it's a sheet of ice. There's lots of rubble in the center and it's not all that steep compared to many.

You mean the northern slide? I don't believe there's anything on the eastern LP side. If that's what you're talking about, we climbed that while we were there; it's steeper than the NW at the top, a choked brook in the center and has some decent ledges at the bottom. Then again you could keep 'whacking north and skate out over Franklin Falls Pond, but water skis might be better at this point

Comment

Yeah I meant the northern slide. The one with the fork in it.

You whacked to the base of it from the top of the NW slide and re-climbed the mountain, right?

Sounds like we'll skirt the headwall and from its base try descending the rest of it.

I'm thinking there will be a thick, hard layer of ice over everything.

Comment

Just making sure I didn't need to go back and climb something on the eastern side Yes, we descended to the base of the N from the headwall of the NW...actually not bad going after the first 10 minutes.

If you're there, the N is worth it, but as a stand-alone slide it was disappointing.

It's a wet slide (being narrow and mainly stream-bed), so you're right, I'd bet the N is icy. At least moss won't be an issue! We stayed in the western trib of it. Maybe you can do the eastern trib to check it out..nudge, nudge.

Comment

Should I take my camera? (instead of skates)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                        Should I take my camera? (instead of skates)
                        2 in case 1 fails!

Comment

Working...
                        X