Bennies Brook slide question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennies Brook slide question

Hi - my friend and I are thinking about doing LWJ via Bennies slide this week. I have been reading about it but I have a couple of questions. 1) Does the slide split part way up? If so, which branch do we take? 2) it sounds like near the top there is a headwall, and that a herd path is on the left of the headwall that leads to the range trail - is this correct? 3) any other navigation tips? Thanks,
    meg

It splits a ways up, but it's pretty obvious the right-hand one is the new and correct slide. Yes, the exit herd path is on the left, approaching the headwall. Leave enough time to enjoy the slide & its rock formations. And if you're coming from the Ranger Station direction, be sure to get the right slide. I started up the Wolfjaw Brook slide which is visible from the trail, luckily realizing my mistake pretty soon. The Bennie's Brook one is after that, and really obvious; the slide went right across the trail.

Comment

Thank you Rickhart. That reassures me. I've wanted to do this for a while now and I'm psyched to get a chance this week. Thanks, Meg

Comment

There is also a "split" lower down on the slid where an "island" of vegetation remains; both branches meet back up in short order, but I prefer the left side.

Comment

Thanks for that FH - we are heading out there tomorrow morning

Comment

You can't miss the start now; there is a huge (shoulder high) cairn right n the middle of the trail, and the slide runs right across the trail, as rickhart said. How are you descending? Range trail to the right commits you to UWJ, Armstrong and Gothics, if you want to get back to the John's Brook valley. Range trail left over Hedgehog and Roostercomb puts you back the closest to your car, if you park in town or at the Garden...

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
              You can't miss the start now; there is a huge (shoulder high) cairn right n the middle of the trail
              i believe someone took that cairn apart, i didn't see it when i did the slide in mid june. my photos seem to confirm this.

even without the cairn, the start of the slide is of course easy to pick out though, with a mass of downed trees and large boulders occupying a small clearing.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Still a cairn, I see from your pics, just not as big as it used to be.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Still a cairn, I see from your pics, just not as big as it used to be.
                  i'm not sure what pics you are referring to, i don't think i posted anything for that trip. or are you just familiar with my imgur page? either way, looking back i see about a waist-high cairn last may and nothing (maybe 1-2 stacked rocks?) from my trip this june. i distinctly remembered pointing out to my partner that there used to be a larger cairn and we didn't see anything. i suspect it is just another case of a 'battle' between people who like cairns and feel they are helpful and others intent on removing them when they find them.

in other news, i am curious as to why the in-post comment feature is seemingly disabled in this thread. checking it out, it appears functional in some other current threads.

Comment

Range trail to the right commits you to UWJ, Armstrong and Gothics
                    well...if they dont descend the wolfjaw brook trail...

Comment

We went today and I can confirm that there is only a small cairn at the base of the slide now - 2-3 rocks tops. Since we were looking for a large cairn we weren't sure if we were at the right place. The herdpath at the top was easy to find and marked with a cairn. After summiting we came down to the col between UWJ and LWJ and then back down towards JBL. The southside trail was eroded in a few places near the brook - a bit scetchy actually. We had the perfect day to climb today - sunny, coolish, breezy. Only saw two people all day - one was a guy we met on our way out at the base of the slide who wasn't sure he was in the right place because he was looking for a big cairn. It was a fantastic hike and I can't imagine ever doing LWJ the "normal" way again.
                      Meg

Comment

Depending on a cairn on a hike is about like depending on advice on an Internet forum. Good luck!

Comment

We weren't "depending" on the cairn - it was just one of the many pieces of information that we were using on this hike. Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenderfoot View Post
                            We went today and I can confirm that there is only a small cairn at the base of the slide now - 2-3 rocks tops. Since we were looking for a large cairn we weren't sure if we were at the right place. The herdpath at the top was easy to find and marked with a cairn. After summiting we came down to the col between UWJ and LWJ and then back down towards JBL. The southside trail was eroded in a few places near the brook - a bit scetchy actually. We had the perfect day to climb today - sunny, coolish, breezy. Only saw two people all day - one was a guy we met on our way out at the base of the slide who wasn't sure he was in the right place because he was looking for a big cairn. It was a fantastic hike and I can't imagine ever doing LWJ the "normal" way again.
                            Meg

Awesome. How did the headwall look in terms of climbability in hiking boots? I'm planning on doing this hike shortly.

Love all wilderness!
                            Trying to hike and XC ski as much as possible.

ADK 46/46 still not official.
                            W 27/46

Comment

The headwall doesnt look climbable to me. Once you get to it (very near the summit) you will see the herd path to the left which takes you to the range trail. Turn right on the range trail and follow for a short distance (steep sections) to the summit. The slide itself starts climbing at a gentle slope but get steeper near the top. A few loose stones and small sections of wet rock in places but easy to work around. There are so many interesting rock formations and spectacular views the whole way up. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X