Beginner Winter Slide Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Winter Slide Questions

I am wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for slides that can be skinned up and descended with a splitboard which don't generally require technical ice climbing, rope, harness, or protection. I realize that conditions will be a big factor in this, and I always carry an axe and crampons, but would prefer to explore slides that are relatively easy to approach in touring mode (ski) mode with the splitboard, and which have better chances of being skinned up. I have my eyes on Benny's Brook and the Wright/Angel slides, but any other suggestions? Also, any information on how conditions are now on said slides.

Some background about me that might better help answer my question......
    I am working on my winter 46 and also recently got a splitboard set up. I am an expert snowboarder but amateur tour/xc/backcountry skier. I have a good knowledge of ADK backcountry and basic avy knowledge. I was able to get out and "get my feet wet" on some slides last year to get a feel for the approach and ascent with the splitboard set up. I skinned up and rode down the new ore bed slide on Saddleback ("back in the saddle"?) and also the slides that bisect the highway on Whiteface (slide #7?).

Thank you in advance for any information, I am always amazed at the talent and adventures that appear on these forums from many of the "Vets"

46er #6671w +1
    46W 46/46
    NH 4K 31/48
    NE111 83/115

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

I think you are right on the money having bennies brook at the top of your list. I think we still need some more snow for better coverage to ride/ski. Any day now.
    You can skin all the way to the top and ride down no problem with good conditions. Also check out adkbcski.com website for conditions. Go get some and report back.
    The greatest precept is continual awareness.

Comment

I hiked bennies last spring and skied it, it is a good starter, although the day we went there was only about 1" if powder on hard pack and ice. Bennies is easy to find, no buskwhacking required.

I just picked up Drew Haas' book "The Adirondack Slide Guide", although short on the technical information and approaches (i.e. there is none), with a topo map you can plan out quite a few adventures. I started last year and after a few adventures I am itch'n for more. Also, check out David Goodmans book on Backcountry skiing in the North east. I found it a great resource when I went to Mt Washington last spring.
      Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
      Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

south side of colden is amazing and easy to get to from the summit trail
        true north on gothics, all the finger slides on dix,
        you are right on with angel and saddle back slides as well
        i haven't done it yet but i think nippletop in the right conditions could be amazing
        also the trails like wright ski trail are great if the avy conditions are sketchy!
        have a great winter with hopefully lots of snow!

Comment

Macomb is the most obvious to me.
          ďIn the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.Ē
          ― Eric Liddell

Comment

Hello!
            Conditions: The slides have been mostly ice for the last couple weeks. Recent snowfall have lighter snow on top of the ice, so I wouldn't do anything right at the moment. With the warmer temps and possible rain at the end of the week that will all change yet again.
            • Bennies Root Canal is easy access (2.4 miles from garden on Southside Trail).
            • Colden's Couloir (access from Lake Arnold Trail) is a popular ski destination. There are small cliffs/gorge down the drainage a bit.
            • I've also seen people ski/snowboard Hunter's Pass Slide on Dix...pretty easy access from the trail below the intersection to N Fork Boquet. It's steep in many sections though.

Back in the Saddle...yup that's the formal name of Saddleback's. I consider the new (sometimes called Catestrophic Chaos) segment a tributary of the one that existed pre-Irene.

Drew Haas lists the spring 2011 Whiteface Ski Slide as #7, though the ski center labels it 2b. If you're talking about the one on the north side that cuts across the road, it's referred to as the Toll Road Slide.

Happy boarding!
            May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the tips and info. I do own both the new slide guide and the best backcountry skiing in NE book resources. It was in fact the toll road slides I rode (although I have rode the resort slides as well). I think I will look into Colden and D ix for later in the year as I need both for my winter 46. Def will wait for a bigger and more stable snow pack. Thanks again!

46er #6671w +1
              46W 46/46
              NH 4K 31/48
              NE111 83/115

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

Comment

I hear Pelkey Basin on the Northwest side of Phelps is a nice glade. I've also heard that there is nice stuff on the johns brook valley side of Big Slide but don't quite know where. It's hard to piece together good info on BC riding in the high peaks. People are very tight-lipped and probably for good reason.

I'm interested in Bennies Brook Slide and eventually the Dix slide (from the Boquet River lean to) but prefer glade runs while in bounds so am looking for that in the BC more than slides.
                Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
                I'm always gonna wanna make it move
                Always gonna be an uphill battle
                Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
                Ain't about how fast I get there
                Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
                It's the climb
                -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Beginner winter slide recommendations also interest me, but the OP had a ski specific question. Any recommendations for hikers?

Iím specifically looking for beautiful options that good crampon and ice axe skills would be sufficient for. Def donít want anything that requires protection and many seem to require ice tools from what I can see in photo galleries. Perhaps they were just taking more direct routes and there are possibilities to go around the steeper obstacles if using an axe vs tools.

Iíll be doing at least one trip with multiple nights out this winter so options with long approaches are fine.

Just beginning to reseach and appreciate any tips on the best handful to investigate. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ceze View Post
                    Beginner winter slide recommendations also interest me, but the OP had a ski specific question. Any recommendations for hikers?

Iím specifically looking for beautiful options that good crampon and ice axe skills would be sufficient for. Def donít want anything that requires protection and many seem to require ice tools from what I can see in photo galleries. Perhaps they were just taking more direct routes and there are possibilities to go around the steeper obstacles if using an axe vs tools.

Iíll be doing at least one trip with multiple nights out this winter so options with long approaches are fine.

Just beginning to reseach and appreciate any tips on the best handful to investigate. Thanks!
                    The Maccomb slide is usually not too terrible.

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
                    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
                    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
                    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Working...
                    X